American Journey

How can I convince my wife to celebrate our 25th anniversary at Chernobyl?

Chernobyl

I noticed recently that this year marks the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster. The amount of radiation has been reduced to somewhat manageable levels—allowing intrepid visitors to make a strictly timed visit to the 30-km radiation zone which had been abandoned after the nuclear reactor’s explosion.

Realizing that my 25th anniversary is also taking place this year it seemed to me that this would make a most excellent anniversary trip. Apparently my long-suffering spouse (LSS) disagrees… (Continue reading)

Advertisements

About Michael

This blog has a mix of some of my main interests in life: travel, politics, food and generally being a curmudgeon. Enjoy.

Discussion

11 thoughts on “How can I convince my wife to celebrate our 25th anniversary at Chernobyl?

1. HILARIOUS post! I, personally, think it’s only a matter of time before the celebs discover Chernobyl, and it becomes all the rage. Haven’t they infiltrated every place else by now? I’m in your camp. A few years ago, I spent two weeks outside Anadarko, OK, studying Indian cultures. We stayed in cabins with no phone/cell service, and only spotty water service. Maybe you can convince her to go to Cawker City, Kansas, home of the World’s Largest Ball of Twine.

Posted by lifeintheboomerlane | January 14, 2011, 2:39 pm
  2. There are now tours being offered by those archeologists who explore garbage in landfills. Interesting and educational!

Posted by Moe | January 14, 2011, 7:58 pm
  3. I used to have a link to a young woman who was a photographer.
    She would ride her motorcycle into the restricted area of Chernobyl and photograph the eerie sights and scenery around the town; School yards with empty swings and abandoned buildings, an abandoned amusement park, etc.
    It was really quite surreal and intriguing.
    If you could show her those pictures of the ghost towns that the surrounding areas had become, I’m SURE she would be drawn to visit there out of morbid curiosity.

Well I was anyway.

Posted by ochipwa | January 15, 2011, 11:51 am
  4. You should take LSS to Alaska. You can see Russia from there.

Posted by mapleman | January 15, 2011, 12:00 pm
  5. Hi,
    I am writing a book called “So…How Did You Meet Anyway?” It is a collection of people’s “how we met” stories.
    I have posted the stories which have been sent in on;
    So…How Did You Meet Anyway?
    I am always shopping for stories and I would like to add yours.You have a great sense of humor!
    Please check out the site, and if you would like to contribute your “how we met” story contact me at;
    susan.amestoy@gmail.com

Happy New Year and…congratulations!
    Susan

Posted by Susan Amestoy | January 16, 2011, 5:30 am
  6. My wife and I are going to the nuclear bomb test-site in Mercury, Nevada in late Oct. It will be days before our 2nd anniversary and should be very romantic.

Posted by shortbuswonderkid | January 27, 2011, 10:40 pm
  7. Take her to Paris! It’s the most romantic city in the world…that will please her. To satisfy your quench for the offbeat, take the sewer tour beneath the city.

Posted by Mrs.Idiot | January 28, 2011, 2:10 am