American Journey

Can you help me pick the top 10 Road Trip songs?

Pretty soon I’ll be taking off for another cross-country drive. Since I’ll be travelling in remote areas with limited radio reception, I’m putting together a few CDs of top road trip songs. Some good driving songs will grab you at the opening power chord and have a thumping beat that makes you put the pedal to the metal.  Others are more suited for driving across open miles of endless terrain where your brain can really wander. The best of the lot will get you pulled over for doing 100 without realizing it. Ideally they will even have a few car or trip references thrown in.  Here is my list so far:

Where the Streets Have No Name – U2

Rearviewmirror – Pearl Jam

Ride My See-Saw – The Moody Blues

Runnin’ Down A Dream – Tom Petty

Born To Be Wild – Steppenwolf

Pacific Coast Highway – Hole

Running On Empty – Jackson Browne

She Knows – Kate Gaffney

Highway Star – Deep Purple

Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen

What songs do you recommend?

Advertisements

About Michael

This blog has a mix of some of my main interests in life: travel, politics, food and generally being a curmudgeon. Enjoy.

Discussion

10 thoughts on “Can you help me pick the top 10 Road Trip songs?

1. Color My World by Chicago

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2010, 10:40 pm
  2. On the Road Again – Willie Nelson
    American Rivers – Tom Russell

Actually, Tom Russell probably has 10 songs of his own to fill out your list.

Posted by Frank Herzof | August 23, 2010, 11:44 pm
  3. Two of my favorites are “Rag Top Day” by Jimmy Buffett and “Silver Thunderbird” by Marc Cohn

Posted by Maxine Headroom | August 24, 2010, 12:05 pm
  4. For wide open spaces, I would recommend anything by Philip Glass.

Posted by Marcus | August 25, 2010, 1:47 am
  5. Old Time Rock and Roll
    Dancing in the Streets

Posted by Moe | August 30, 2010, 1:18 pm
  6. By the way, the Mick Jagger/David Bowie version of Dancin’

Posted by Moe | August 30, 2010, 1:19 pm