American Journey

The best barbecue dish in America?

I have spent several decades traveling around America in search of the best slow smoked meat. This quest has led me on various barbecue pilgrimages, mostly throughout the south, home to some of the finest barbecue in America. Since I’m a yankee living in the BBQ deprived north I truly appreciate these trips.

However, the one place I keep returning to is LC’s Bar-B-Q in Kansas City (continue reading)

About these ads

About Michael

This blog has a mix of some of my main interests in life: travel, politics, food and generally being a curmudgeon. Enjoy.

Discussion

15 thoughts on “The best barbecue dish in America?

1. Burnt ends sound fantastic – a guilty pleasure which I guess you could pass of as being economical – you are using the whole of the meat! It reminds me of a tradition from the North of England and Scotland. Go to a chip shop, order a fish and chip supper and ask for scraps. What you will get is a mound of little nuggets of crispy batter that fall off during the deep frying process and just get left in the oil. Oh my, they are soooo wrong but so deeply satisfying. And what’s wrong with that when there’s no cash in the bank? All hail cheap soul food!!

Posted by nefny | February 11, 2011, 1:43 pm
  2. Two world class barbecue places I discovered were in unlikely locations. One was Boca Raton,FL:a tiny, out-of-the-way place that really was on the “wrong side of the tracks.” Another was in Park City, Utah, right on the main drag. Both places were heaven on earth. This was many years ago. I can’t remember the names and I don’t know if either is still there. But my taste buds still swoon when I think of them. And, speaking of burnt ends, I make a world class brisket that cooks for hours. Of course, the burnt ends are the best.

Posted by Renee Fisher | February 12, 2011, 4:09 pm
    • Wow you’re the first person I’ve met that actually makes burnt ends at home. As much as I grill, for some reason I haven’t tried them myself. I do cook the Thanksgiving turkey on a rotisserie attached to a wood burning Weber. I highly recommend it.

Posted by Thomas | February 12, 2011, 6:23 pm
  3. Make sure you come to Memphis for some BBQ. Bunch of great places for it. It might make you forget about KC. Try Tom’s BBQ, The Neeley’s, Fat Larry’s, & Moma’s!

Posted by mindslam | February 12, 2011, 9:39 pm
    • I’ve been to Neely’s but not the others. I love Memphis and will definitely be back. Thanks for the tips.

Posted by Thomas | February 12, 2011, 10:07 pm
      • Yea, Fat Larry’s & Moma’s is here in Bartlett where I live on the outskirts of Memphis. Tom’s was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives on The Food Network! I eat there alot for lunch because it’s close to my work!

Posted by mindslam | February 13, 2011, 12:14 am
      • I’m jealous. Philly has a few decent bbq places but NOTHING like down south. If anyone in Memphis wants to make a mint they should open an authentic southern place up here.

Posted by Thomas | February 13, 2011, 12:19 am
  4. I added you to my blog roll!

Posted by mindslam | February 13, 2011, 12:45 am
  5. This is truly a great post. My wife and I are heading to Texas for a wedding and were just talking about finding a great Bar-B-Que. I now wish Kansas City was on the way; sadly, we are coming from the other direction.

Posted by shortbuswonderkid | February 18, 2011, 2:29 pm
    • There is great cue in Texas too. Where are you headed?

Posted by Thomas | February 19, 2011, 4:52 am
      • DFW area for a wedding, Mesquite to visit, and finally Austin just to kick our feet up for a day. Then the long journey back home.

You inspired my wife to do research and she found out that Kansas City (rightfully?) claims to be the BBQ capital of the world.

Posted by shortbuswonderkid | February 19, 2011, 11:06 am
      • In Dallas Sonny bryans has a good reputation. I haven’t been there in years though. Kansas city is worth a trip. Several good places there.

Posted by Thomas | February 20, 2011, 6:55 am
  6. Two places spring to mind: Mac’s BBQ in Evansville, IN and City BBQ in Cincinnati (3 locations, but excellent). Your article made me hungry! BTW, KC’s a wonderful city for all kinds of food. Some of the best Italian cooking I’ve ever had was in a restaurant in the old trainyards there … Mangia!

Posted by Ravenous Rod | February 21, 2011, 2:24 pm
  7. Anyone know a recipe for the old Mac’s BBQ in Evansville, IN………………..or if it is available any place
    ?